Friday, 9 July 2010

Erewash Valley Trail

The Erewash Valley trail project is a partnership involving British Waterways, the Local & County Councils and various other interested parties to deliver £520,000 of environmental improvements during 2010/11. This includes the formation of walking & cycling trails as well as benefits to wildlife and encouraging healthy living and connecting local communities.

Tony Allcock and I attended a grand opening of one of the phases of these improvements at Trent Lock on 5th July. This celebrated the completion of towpath surface upgrading between Trent Lock and Sandiacre and the restoration of a British Waterways warehouse at Trent Lock. The event was hosted by BW and included the Mayor and Deputy Mayor of Broxtowe & Erewash. We had a chat with Tony Harvey from BW (Head of regeneration midands). He was keen on pressing on with the Long Horse Bridge replacement proposal at the junction of the Trent , Derwent and Trent Mersey canal and sought support from Sustrans to help drive this along. It was not obvious how this would fit in with Sustrans cycle network but Tony agreed to pass his request for a dialogue on to Les Sims.
Slim 9th July

1 comment:

  1. As I have said in an e-mail to Tony, I cannot believe that a person of the standing of the Head Of Regeneration for BW is unaware of what is happening with Longhorse Bridge. This has been the subject of meetings and correspondance between DCC (John Holmes) and BW (Caroline Killeavy and others) for years. There has been at least one public enquiry and finally the County has been given authority to compulsorily purchase land needed for the bridge approaches. It should have started this last March. At the next South Derbyshire Greenways Meeting (which Les and I are kindly invited to attend) I will check the situation and report.

    ReplyDelete