We had our third consecutive week of litter-picking on the Nutbrook Trail today, from Straws Bridge to Crompton Rd. On the way we met Rob and Ian, Sustrans full-time operatives, filling in a hole next to the trail near the Beauty Spot, which had opened up after recent flooding. We also met James Lowe, Sustrans Area Manager (in the picture) and a class of girls from John Houghton School who it seems had suggested to their PE teachers a walk on the Nutbrook Trail as this week's PE lesson. Our trail is truly a multi-user path!
The other pictures show recently introduced road markings on the A609 outside Ilkeston Fire Station. Ask yourself: would you want your child or grandchild riding up this new cycle lane between the two lanes of traffic? Would you want to do it? We couldn't find a cyclist who would volunteer to be photographed riding in this lane!



We have a similar cycle lane on Corden Avenue in Derby. The idea is to allow cyclists who wish to turn right at the T-junction (or cross roads) access to the Advanced Stop Line Box.
ReplyDeleteI have yet to see a cyclist using this lane and certainly have no use for it myself.
If it's any consolation, we have a far more dangerous cycle lane nearby on the A38 bridge on Uttoxeter Road but that's another story. I do not use that either and that's why I have survived so long on two wheels.
If the left lane for vehicles is a turn left lane on a filter; then this is the correct design.
ReplyDeleteOn the design that puts the cycle lane next to the kerb - fatal accidents have occured when cyclists have been going straight on have suddenly found themselves on the left hand side of left turning vehicles.
It does look a bit narrow though, and it's not clear from your photo's how easy it is to get into this lane.
There is a similar one in Giltbrook on Nottingham Road, where if you are in the cycle section, you cannot see the traffic lights, and you also have to cycle between two lanes of traffic.
ReplyDeleteAnonymous, yes the left lane does have an arrow in it and I understand what you are saying about left-turners being crushed, but I still wouldn't venture into that lane myself if I was going straight on. And if I was turning left, I'd probably take to the pavement! To try to answer your question, I will add another pic on the original post. Before the cycle lane starts, there is a yellow box right outside the Fire Station (for obvious reasons). A question I would ask is: will drivers automatically know how to behave and what to expect from cyclists there? It didn't seem that obvious to us! When a new roundabout is installed, there are signs announcing it which they leave up for months, sometimes years. Why is there nothing like that here?
ReplyDelete