Wednesday, 20 March 2013

Cycling Meeting at Matlock 18 March 2013

There are 3 or 4 of the External Cycling Liaison Meetings in the year, at County Hall, and I attend these whenever I can (although Stuart reported back from the last one - see his post 22 November 2012.) They are always useful and we get updates on various developments, such as progress on greenways. I went along last Monday. Amongst the things that might concern us, the following were discussed:
(1) an officer from Bolsover DC said that there is an intention to develop the Cromford Canal route as a cycling and walking path from Langley Mill to Cromford (no time scale mentioned).
(2) as I mentioned in a comment on the post below, we should see some construction work commencing on the next stage of the Great Northen Greenway at the Broomfield site (that's the Derby end) "some time this year". It will be remembered that the superb first section, built as a joint project by Derbyshire County and Derby City Councils at Breadsall, finished over three years ago and the Broomfield section was expected to follow on a few months after. It could be some time, however, before we see this join up with the short piece at West Hallam.
(3) We should hear very soon - before Easter - if DCC's bid for government cycling safety money has been successful and whether the measures planned to make roundabouts in Long Eaton safer for cyclists will go ahead.
(4) I mentioned the safety issues surrounding the new cycle lane at the Ilkeston Fire Station box junction and passed around my mobile with appropriate post from our blog - with picture - and have subsequently been given a phone number to ring, which Jeff is following up.

No comments:

Post a Comment