Thursday, 18 September 2014

D.H. LAWRENCE IS BACK

You might remember an earlier post in which I referred to the memorial plaque for Lawrence at Eastwood Lock on the Erewash Canal.  The small plaque was barely visible as it is set on the ground and therefore easily obscured by accumulated debris. The lettering was almost indecipherable. 

I was reminded of it recently when I saw the publicity for the annual Lawrence Festival and thought it would be nice to see it restored. Because it had been placed there by Eastwood Town Council I contacted them in the first place. They referred me to Amber Valley District Council, and, as it turned out, the person I spoke to was based in Durban House, Eastwood, which is the local Lawrence Heritage Centre. They said they would refer it to the Canal and River Trust.

Quite soon after I cycled by and saw that the job had been done. Full marks to everyone. You'll notice from the photo though that the lettering picked out in white is already beginning to look a bit fuzzy at the edges. I think this is because the plaque lies flat on the ground and traps water and debris and therefore deteriorates quickly. Signs placed vertically like the Eastwood Lock sign fare much better. 

Jeff



No comments:

Post a Comment