Sunday, 12 June 2011

Hemlock Happening 2011
































This event is held annually in Bramcote Hills Park, in full view of the famous Hemlock Stone (mentioned in D H Lawrence's "Sons and Lovers") and draws huge crowds. This was the first time I had attended the event and I helped Steve Fisher of Broxtowe Borough Council give out leaflets promoting the Erewash Valley Trail. Many people wanted to chat about the trail: several had already tried it; others knew about it, had seen the new signs go up and weanted to know more; very few showed no interest at all. Soon after 4 pm, a speech was made about the trail, following which two groups of cyclists set off in opposite directions along the trail.

Note: The official opening of the EVT will be on Tues 21 June.

On my way to Bramcote, I rode up the trail and can report the current progress. The chip-and-tar surface goes up to Pastures Lock, further tarmacking extends all the way up to a point a couple of hundred metres north of Stanton Lock and preparatory work prior to tarmacking has been done up to Hallam Fields Lock.

No comments:

Post a Comment